LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS®
LWVMD Legislative Priorities 2011
For the 2011 General Assembly Session, LWV of MD has adopted the following legislative priorities. For a black and white or color tri-fold brochure with more complete information, click on the attachment on this page.
ADEQUATE REVENUE TO PROTECT PUBLIC SERVICES
- Support for an equitable and efficient fiscal structure for Maryland. LWVMD supports or opposes proposed changes to Maryland’s revenue structure based on principles reached through membership research, study, discussion, and consensus.
Public services requiring adequate funding include:
- Public transportation
- Health care coverage that provides access to a basic level of quality care for all residents and controls health care costs
- Housing policies that provide a decent home and a suitable living environment for all
- Children’s services that promote the well-being, development, and safety of all children
- Public education, recognizing that the primary responsibility for funding public elementary and secondary education lies with the state
MONITORING THE REDISTRICTING PROCESS
- We support a state redistricting process and standards that promote fair and effective representation in the Maryland state legislature and US House of Representatives with maximum opportunity for public scrutiny. Redistricting plans should be based on substantially equal population.