LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS®
Uploading a Voters' Guide
What: A Voters' Guide is considered as a permanent document and so is displayed in the E-Library. They are also highlighted on the front page of your site
Who can Create: LWV Writer (defaults to published)
HOW TO CREATE
Red items are required or important. Purple items are commonly used.
- Log in at your home LWV site.
- Use the light-blue menu at the top of the screen and find "LWV Writer > Add Information" Click to open.
- Enter a Title. Please include your location and the year, such as "Harford County Voters' Guide 2010". Please note that Voters' Guide has an apostrophe after the S.
- Attach a FILE You can upload a file(s) from your home computer and attach it to this document. To attach more than one, click on Attach, then browse to find another one. Repeat until done. PDF or open-source format is recommended. Not everyone buys Microsoft. Please store it in low-resolution so it's not a huge file and make sure your pictures are of low resolution. You cannot upload a file bigger than 1 MB.
Optional: Click on BOOK OUTLINE then for BOOK select "Citizen Handbook: Voting"
- In "Parent Item" select Election YEAR. You can also select the WEIGHT of the item to adjust its order. Don't worry about this too much; you can fix the outline later.
Categories (use the Control and Shift Key along with your mouse to select multiple items)
- Type of Info: Select either "Primary Voters' Guide" or "General Voters' Guide" (this tells the computer to show it on your home page)
- LWV Topics: Select VOTERS SERVICES
- Legislative Skip unless you've got information about a Ballot option
- Voting and Election Select the type of Election (Presidential Election Cycle or Gubernatorial Election Cycle or Municipal Election Cycle)
- Body you can put in a brief description of the attached Voters' Guide, how to contact your LWV, etc. Some people write descriptions online; others prefer to compose them on their own computer and then copy and paste them in. (If you copy paste, check for odd formatting if you have tables or bulleted points. Those sorts of things don't always transfer well, depending on your word processor. Use the clipboard with the letter W on it to paste from Microsoft Word) You can add formatting with the controls available. Web addresses that start with http will automatically become live. You can add images (see the ADD IMAGES section of this handbook).
- Option: Domain Access Options If you are authorized to post items on more than one LWV, you will see a list of LWVs here. Click the boxes where you want this to show up. County Voters' Guide need only be in their own county; State -wide info should be sent to all domains.
- Option: Source Domain If you are authorized to publish from more than one domain, you will see a list of LWVs here. Select the one you want for your Voters' Guide. The domain MUST be one of the Domains listed in Domain Access Option above.
- Option: Authoring Information (probably skip this) Editors who are posting for other people may change the author here. They may also adjust the date this item was created. You can have your LWV be the author, instead of your personal name.
Option: Publishing Options
- Published: defaults to ON. If you don't want this visible to the public yet, uncheck the box.
- Promoted to front Page Don't use, items are sorted and displayed automatically.
- Sticky at Top of Lists Don't use, items are sorted and displayed automatically.
- SAVE ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED!!!
HOW TO EDIT
- Find the document. Use the search box, your TRACK function (click on MY ACCOUNT in the menu at the top of the blue area of the page, then click on TRACK), or go the ELibrary.
- Click on the EDIT Tab at the top of the item, then change the field(s) you want to fix and click on SUBMIT. Repeat as needed.
HOW TO DELETE
- Find the item. Use the search box, your TRACK function (click on MY ACCOUNT in the menu at the top of the blue area of the page, then click on TRACK), or the What's New.
- Writers should click on the DELETE at the top of the item, then click on YES to confirm.
- Editors may use their EDIT ITEMS option and DELETE From there.