LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS®
Changing the attached file on an Uploaded Newsletter
Q: The newsletter I uploaded to the site has a mistake in the attached file. How do I fix it?
A: WAIT UNTIL IT'S FINISHED SENDING. If you change the file while the newsletter is still being sent, some of your people will get an email with no file attached.
- Wait until the newsletter has finished sending. (See page "Time Required to Send Newsletter").
- While you're waiting, fix your file. Save it to your computer.
- (If you don't want to try step 4, forward your newsletter email to email@example.com for assistance.)
- In the email you receive, put your mouse over the Attachment and right-click.
- Depending on your operating system, you may see an option called "Copy shortcut" or "File address". Right-Click to save the file's URL path.
- In an open document (Word, Email, whatever) in your computer, press and hold the Control Key and then press V. You should see the complete URL for your attachment. It will look like http://www.lwvmd.org/n/sites/default/files/newsletter.pdf
- The part of that URL that comes after "files" is the name of the file that has been uploaded to the web. It may not be the same as the visible file name. It may have an underscore and a number at the end of it, such as newsletter_3.pdf.
- Use the name and the underscore and the number (if any) as the new name for your fixed file. So, if you have saved your fixed file as newsletter, resave it as newsletter_3
- After the newsletter has been sent, EDIT the Newsletter.
- Delete the attached file.
- Save the Newsletter.
- Edit the newsletter again
- Attach the corrected file that has the name you found in Step 3.
That should keep the link working.