LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS®
A forum on the statewide Ballot Questions will be hosted by the LWV of Calvert County.
Location: Library, Prince Frederick
Download the flyer at http://calvert1.lwvmd.org/n/sites/default/files/CalvertForum2012.pdf
- A Constitutional provision for a statewide, uniform, unified judicial system in which all judges are trained attorneys. (1963, reaffirmed 1967, expanded 2009)
- Appointment of judges by the governor based on recommendations of the judicial nominating commissions, with voter confirmation in nonpartisan merit retention elections. (1964, reaffirmed 1967, 1970, 2009)
- A method for removal of judges that is effective, removed from partisan considerations and requires lay representation on any commission set up for that purpose. (1970, expanded in 2009)
- A non-partisan Evaluation Committee that issues public reports on judges’ performance of their duties based upon neutral criteria. (1970, expanded 2009)
- Public funding for judicial elections so long as contested elections exist. (2009)
- Continuing the option for the counties of Maryland to retain or abolish Orphans’ Court. (2010)
a. Selecting Orphans’ Court Judges via non-partisan elections;
b. Selecting both attorneys and nonattorney as Orphans’ Court judges.
- Eliminating partisan elections for selection of Clerk of the Court, Register of Wills and Sheriff. No consensus was reached on a method of selection of Clerk of the Court, Register of Wills and Sheriff. (2010)
All Maryland voters will be asked to vote on three state-wide ballot questions. Click on the attachment to learn more about them.